Monday night was not so great. At about 12:15 I had an awful dream, where pain was lancing through my abdomen. Then I woke up. It wasn't a dream. I was in a lot of pain. Figuring I had a ruptured ovarian cyst I went into the bathroom and curled up with a book. Yet the pain didn't get any better. It became a lot worse. By 4 am I had pain shooting up my back, into my neck and I had a hard time breathing. It was time to wake the Doctor up.
Some kind words, a priesthood blessing and two advils later he was back to sleep and I still writhed in pain.
7:00 am - David leaves for work suggesting I call the doctor.
8:00 am - My family doctor isn't in and she is the only one with an ultrasound.
9:00 am - My OBGYN isn't in, they don't have an ultrasound tech on Tuesday's, but they can get me in to see Dr. Ball at 1:30. Hours to wait. Pain continues. My belly begins to grow and I look three months pregnant. Afraid, I ask David to take me to the Doctors. Something is really wrong!
1:00 My neighbor Nancy takes the kids and is willing to get the others of the bus later. David arrives and takes me to Dr. Ball. After two painful exams she confirms something is wrong and I need a CT scan.
2:30 I am at Clarian North hospital drinking large amounts of orange drink laced with dye. Can't stop shaking.
4:15 pm Have you ever had a CT scan? They inject you with stuff that makes you feel like you have been filled with a heating pad on high! I continue to shake uncontrollably. David holds me and tries not to let me see his concern. Doctor's know too many things that can go wrong.
5:00 pm The Radiologists tells us I have a ruptured cysts and internal bleeding. I am filling up with blood. Would I please go up to the second floor for surgery? What!!!!
5:10 The Anesthesiologist tells me about how I will feel falling a sleep as he sets up an IV but nobody can tell me what the surgery is going to be. Tears overflow and won't stop. I didn't tell my kids how much I love them before I left! I continue to shake. I call my mom and ask her to have all my family pray for me. I need their prayers.
5:20 Dr. Ball tells me she has to make a "bikini" cut. Possible take out my left ovary and tube. Can't drive for two weeks. WHAT!!! She offers to try laproscopically, but doesn't think she will be able to see through all the blood. I sign the papers and kiss David goodbye. I love you.
5:30 I am in the OR. The nurses are all so nice. They put a mask on and..........
8:45 pm Someone is telling me to wake up. They tell me I can go home. Huh? Prayers have been answered and she was able to stop the bleeding, suction the congealed blood out and cauterize the cyst laproscopically. I can't keep my eyelids open. I feel sick and can't stop shaking. More drugs injected.
9:30 pm I am at home in bed. I don't dream ... or shake.
It is now Friday and David has gone back to work. I still look three months pregnant, but with a nasty bruise the size of a baseball around my belly button. I can now walk upright and even had a shower on my own. I am incredibly grateful for all the prayers and concern showered on me and my family this day. All is well - now if I could just button my pants!
![]() |
| Life's Emergencies |

9 comments:
Heather! I had no idea! I wish I could have done something to help. Please call me if you need anything!!!!! I am so glad it all turned out okay.
OH my word!!!! Heather, I wish I had known and I would have been there for you!!!! It looks like I will need to drive to your house for piano lessons for a while. Please let me know if I can help you in any way.
Wow!! I am so very glad you are alright. I am very impressed that you made it through all those hours of pain. Your prayer were definately answered. Again, I am VERY glad you are alright and home with your family.
I have loved ready your blog and getting to know your family better. It if fun seeing my cousin who used to walk and pick me up at preschool is old enough to have a cute little family.
If you are ever in Arizona we would love to have you stay with us.
Liz
Hi Heather, wow, we are so sorry about your medical ordeal! We are grateful you were well cared for and the problem solved quickly (not quickly enough when you are in pain though). Is it true you came home that very same night? If so, that was one long day for you Take care. We love you!
Jeff, Karen, & Ben in New Zealand
Wow, we were shocked to hear the news! I'm so sorry for your pain. Glad you are home and feeling better.
Holy cow! I had no idea! I'm so glad you're ok. What an ordeal! Good thing prayers and blessings work.
We're so glad that things turned out okay! We love you!
Heather, I am so glad you are doing better! What an ordeal! Yeah for modern medicine!
I love you,Donna
Wow! I'm glad you're ok. Hope you're getting around great by now. Take care!
Post a Comment