The story starts back in 1997 at BYU. David and I were on our first date, and I asked him what he was going to do with a molecular biology major."Be a doctor" he said. After that date, I went home and told my roommate that I didn't think I could date him. I didn't want to go through medical school and residency! I didn't want to be a doctors wife! I wanted a husband who worked 9 to 5 and then came home.
Well, his charm won me over and we were married. Not long after Daylin was born, David applied to medical school and he didn't get accepted. We were devastated! However, we learned some incredibly valuable lessons from that, which we wouldn't trade - looking back now. :)
Another year passed in which we applied for medical school again and he was accepted this time. Three days before the first day of medical school in San Antonio began, Bethany was born. Two days later, David brought me home from the hospital in Houston, dropped Bethany and I, off at my parents house and left for medical school. Luckily, his parents were able to make it to his white coat ceremony.
![]() |
| From The journey |
Four years passed. Medical school had its ups and downs, but on the whole, David exceeded far beyond our expectations and obtained one of the few ENT residency positions. We also added Hyrum to our little family.
| From The journey |
| From The journey |
The next five years were spent in Indianapolis, IN. Here David had some really rotten rotations that made us wonder if we were ever going to make it through. He also had some rotations that allowed us to explore the midwest and make some treasured memories. We also added little Anya to our family.
| From The journey |
And now we are at the end. Last week there was an awards dinner to honor the three graduating residents. As he walked up to receive his certificate, I was so proud of him. We have made it! Two more weeks and we will leave Indiana to begin our next adventure in Houston, TX.
I am so proud of you David. Your have persevered and made your dream come true. You are respected by your colleagues and loved by your family. You have successfully walked the fine line between being a great doctor AND being a great husband and father. Congratulations!
![]() |
| From The journey |
| From The journey |


6 comments:
Congratulations, David! It is quite the accomplishment, and I am excited for your new adventure in Houston. I hope it goes well.
Whew! The long haul is complete. Congrats! We are so happy for your family.
David, even from the beginning we knew you would make it. Congrats: Dad
Hey guys! It's Aimee Claverie (now Kincaid) from BYU!
Congratulations to David AND Heather! It takes a really good team to pull off the journey of becoming a doctor and having a family all at the same time. Good for you both for pulling together, sticking through the hard times and not giving up! Loves to you both!
I'm sure you guys are busy moving in, but I miss you! You need to blog something. LOL. Oh, and when you have a spare moment, can I get a copy of those pics David took of us and Enessa and Anya? Thanks!
Congratulations, David!
Congratulations, Heather! I don't think I'm quite the woman you are. There's no way I could have survived that journey, but you both did it with class and faith. I love that you've weathered it together and come out smiling TOGETHER! You are one awesome couple. May Texas be all that and a bag of chips, and may Texas deserve the Sycamore family!
Post a Comment