Friday, April 23, 2010

On the Market

As soon as we returned from Florida, we began getting ready to sell the house. Now, we have known for the last five years that we would most likely be selling our home here in Indianapolis. Having learned from the last house we sold, we decided to make all the changes we wanted in the house at the beginning instead of at the end, that way we would have the chance to enjoy the changes. On the whole, it worked. Unfortunately, the curtains had begun to fade, the paint chipped and the closets became cluttered.

For three weeks I cleaned out every closet, drawer and crevice. Every shelf and closet was "staged". I rented a storage unit, had multiple friends walk through the house and give me their opinion and interviewed realtors.

March 19th, I opened my front door to find this on the handle:
From On the Market


My heart sank...the end was truly beginning. Strangers were going to walk through my home and tell me all the reasons why they didn't want it. There is no excitement about selling - just the quiet acknowledgment that we were going to walk away with a smaller down payment than we had come with. In just a few months I would need to tear my family up by the roots and transport them to another state. There are going to be buckets of tears! Our neighbors have become our extended family and best friends. I feel such peace in this neighborhood, where my children come home, drop their school bags and spend the evening playing with friends. I know they are safe and happy. I love being able to walk into my neighbors kitchen and chat with her for a while about everything under the sun. I love how my neighbors lovingly watch out for my home and children. Will I ever find another place like this? What are the chances?

Enough tears. :) We have been greatly blessed. We sold our house in three weeks and will be moving out the day after school finishes. Yet, David won't be finished till June 30th, so we will be staying at an apartment down the street and continue to haunt this neighborhood for one more month.
From On the Market

2 comments:

30 year-old Dad said...

Congratulations on the sale!! That must be such a relief. MK & I were just rehashing yesterday all the things we would do differently if we sold our house again, but all of them required the foreknowledge of who would buy and how quickly. Also, having stayed in Houston for 6 weeks after we sold our house, we can empathize with your month-long "haunt"ing.

Jenny said...

It is amazing that your house sold in 3 weeks. Everyone talks about how beautiful your house is. I only wish that I could have seen it. For sure in Houston!