We have returned from our long anticipated cruise and had a great time! All went well with our cruise, but we had a bit of trouble getting there and back again.
Of course the day that we left it would blizzard for the first time this winter. We still managed to make it to the airport on time, and the planet still made it out of the gate on time, and I thought we were home free. Silly me. Of course we had to deice the plane, which took an hour. And of course, that made us miss our connection. And of course the only flight that was reliably going to get us to Florida was leaving at 9PM.
Now we had a problem. As the boat was leaving at 5PM, we were going to miss at least the first 3 days of the cruise, and were going to have to spend even more money to get to Roatan to meet the boat at its first port. things were not looking good.
We started phoning people like mad, and decided to try and get a flight on another airline to Miami. We talked to customer service and through a mixture of pleading and pity, the agent manged to get us a flight that would get us there in time. Hooray! We were going to make it. Or so we thought.
Next we get on the plane and discover to our horror that they also feel the need to deice the plane. This despite the sunny, above freezing weather! What do I know about flying though, so safety first right? It'll only add an hour right? Wrong. Two hours later (even after deciding to skip the deicing) we just get into the air. Now I'm extra stressed because I can tell that we are right on schedule to get to the boat between 15 minutes before and 15 minutes after the deadline for getting on.
We get off the plane and miraculously (but maybe not surprisingly given the number of family members offering prayers for us) our bags show up right off the bat. We run and jump in the taxi and get to the boat just 10 minutes before the cut off. I think that it took both Heather and me a day and a half to recover from the trauma.
The way back was much less stressful, but much more sleep depriving. Since we were going to be flying back home through Atlanta, a tornado had to touch down in the downtown there the day of our flight. The weather of course delayed our already late return, and we finally got home at 5:30AM. So that was nice.
What was truly nice was the actual trip. We loved the cruise. I would tell more about it, but I think you would stop reading since this is so long already. Instead here are some pictures for the stalwart.
I will say the we stopped in Roatan (monkeys), Belize (no pictures), and Cozumel (beach). Cozumel was my favorite see the beach pictures for the why. Also, the last few pictures are from Miami at an old mansion named Vizcaya with beautiful grounds. Enjoy!
-
3 comments:
What fun!!!! You give me hope that someday I might have a chance to go somewhere--anywhere--alone with DAvid (mine of course!) for a "getaway"!!! I'm so glad you made it!
Thanks for the update! I loved the closeup picture that Dave took of the flower with Heather in the background. He has a talent!
i'm really impressed how much a male would post about his family! great job! i am also very impressed with your obvious love of photography. i'm glad you had fun.
Post a Comment